Ballerina Dreams

Ellie Wright, Humans of Juniata College

Jill Palmer

Ellie Wright ’19 is a Pennsylvania native. Originally from Lancaster, PA, she was drawn to Juniata because of the liberal arts education and the smaller class sizes. Ellie is studying English secondary, though at one point she thought that she would pursue a career in dance.

From the age 5, dance has been a huge part of Ellie’s life. She studied many different types of dance – including ballet, jazz, tap, lyrical (She tried hip-hop, but claimed to have looked like an awkward noodle). Out of all the dance she studied, she felt most passionate about ballet as she considers it to be one of the most beautiful art forms. By the time she was in high school, she was dancing up to 16 hours a week, thinking it to be somewhat of a part time job. She even had the opportunity to train abroad in the Ukraine as part of a summer intensive for ballet, but unfortunately had to cancel the trip due to safety concerns. Ellie would have been in the Ukraine around the same time of the Ukrainian revolution, which caused many protests, riots, and threats of bombings. After making the decision to cancel the trip, Ellie heard that bombings had begun in the Ukraine.

In her senior year of high school, Ellie made the decision to change her path from dancing to teaching English. This change was influenced by the fact that through ballet, she had encountered many people from other countries and cultural backgrounds, which sparked her interest in teaching English.

Originally, she had an interest in teaching English language learners, but since Juniata doesn’t currently have an ELL program, she decided to become an English teacher instead. After graduation, Ellie wants to find a job working at a school around Lancaster. Ultimately, she wants to continue her education and get certified to teach English as a second or a foreign language, as well as possibly get her PhD and become a professor of English. Ellie was raised Christian and upholds a lot of those values. She believes strongly in treating people the way you would want to be treated. She considers kindness to be a human concept that she hopes to see in everybody. Ellie also believes that if you have a passion for something, you should go for it, because if you are doing your best and giving your best effort, then you won’t have any regrets.

Around campus, Ellie likes sitting out on the quad on sunny days and hanging out with friends. She also enjoys being creative, hanging out with friends, and watching movies. She likes all types of movies except for horror, though she does sometimes enjoy analyzing horror movies as well. The three things Ellie can’t live without are her family, her phone, and food—her favorite is strawberries, though her favorite meal would be steak and mashed potatoes.